Monday, August 3, 2009

You got me, I'm a sucker for sweets

Getting my monthly Clean Eating magazine in the mail is a good thing, and at the same time, a very very bad thing. I ripped open the pages last week and what were the first two recipes I made? Cinnamon Sweet Potato Brownies, and No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookies. The brownies were just okay... I might tweak the recipe a bit and try it again. I got all the way through mixing the ingredients when I realized that I didn't have the 9x9 pan I was supposed to bake them in, so a round cake pan had to do. It was a cheapie, and didn't bake them evenly. I'll have to try them again when I'm properly prepared.

The chocolate chip cookies though were DELISH! Todd even ate them and requested that I make them again (which must means that they are amazing... even though these cookies aren't "diet", he doesn't quite understand what clean eating is and thinks its a bunch of boloney). Here's the recipe for the no bake chocolate chip cookies, which can be found in the September/October issue of Clean Eating Magazine. If you don't subscribe, I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT!! www.cleaneatingmag.com

No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes: 42 cookies

1 1/4C raisins
1/2 cup pitted dates
2 cups whole oats
4 T agave or honey
2 t cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1/2 C cacoa nibs (I got mine at Vitamin Shoppe, but any health food store should carry)

Place raisins and dates in food processor and chop into small pieces. Add oats, agave/honey, cinnamon and salt. Process to mix well. Empty into mixing bowl and stir in cacoa nibs.

Use a tablespoon to portion out cookies. Each cookie should be about a full tablespoon -roll it into a ball. Enjoy immediately or chill before serving for firmer texture. *

*This is where I'll add my 2 cents. Before forming into cookies, put the bowl in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes. The mixture, when room temperature, wouldn't hold together. Try as I might, I couldn't get these little guys to stay rolled into balls. I'd put the ball on a plate and it would fall apart. Once I put the cookies in the freezer for a few minutes, I was able to take them back out and roll them into balls and they'd actually stick together!

42 cookies is a LOT, so I cut the recipe in half and it worked just fine. They're so bite size, portable and delicious, they won't last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment